Avallon-Tour de l’Horloge depuis la place de la Collégiale Saint-Lazare. Avallon is located 50 km south-southeast of Auxerre, served by a branch of the Paris-Lyon bourgogne romane PDF and by exit 22 of the A6 motorway.
Chance finds of coins and pottery fragments and a fine head of Minerva are reminders of the Roman settlement carrying the Celtic name Aballo, a mutatio or post where fresh horses could be obtained. Charles the Bold in 1477, it passed under the royal authority. The castle, mentioned as early as the seventh century, has utterly disappeared. A theory exists which proposes that the Isle of Avalon mentioned in Arthurian legend is, in fact, Avallon in Burgundy.